finding inspiration: blog posts

24.7.17


It can sometimes be difficult to create new and exciting content that your followers will enjoy reading. I often struggle with this. One of the biggest reasons I've been away from this blog for so long is because I simply cannot come up with any ideas I feel are worthy of posting. And so, when in doubt, write a post telling people how to find inspiration on writing posts.


Let's take a look into my mind, shall we?


+ Read the posts of others
When I read the posts of my fellow bloggers, I sometimes think of something similar I could write that might appeal to my followers. Often times, I either simply admire what my peer has written, or come up with something entirely different for my own blog. However, I never steal content from others, but if I like an idea so much that I'd like to recreate it, I simply ask for permission from the original author to do something similar. 

+ Ask for ideas
If I'm feeling particularly stumped, and need to produce some creative content, I often ask for the ideas of friends and family. More often that not, they give me a lovely idea for a new post, such as this one. Don't be afraid to ask for help; the ideas that sparked many of my favorite posts have been from my loved ones.

+ Photography
Sometimes, I have no ideas for new content but I'm itching to write something up and post it. The first thing I turn to is my beloved flash drive that holds most of my photographs. It doesn't take long to edit a few of my best pictures from my most recent adventures and jot down a few sentences to accompany every other photo. In the end, I am left with something that didn't drain me or take days to write, but I am still proud of. Often times, my photography posts are my most popular.

+ A part two 
What you are reading right now is an excellent example of what I mean. Two years ago, I wrote a post called Finding Inspiration: Poetry, where I shared things that may inspire me to write poems in my day to day life. This week, I found I was too occupied to come up with something more original, but since I am fond of irony, the idea for this post came to mind. I try to not write many similar posts, as I like everything I publish to be as original and creative as possible, but sometimes it may be a good idea to recreate an old post.

What do you do when you need an idea for a blog post? Let me know if you try anything suggested above.

23 comments:

  1. Good advice! I definitely turn to my old photos for inspiration. I also just tell myself to get out there and take new photos for the sole purpose of blogging them. It makes for a fun challenge to go to somewhere new or offbeat to get content. I also flick through my old notebooks for poetry and musings that I can edit into a post or be inspired freshly from. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is something I definitely have to work on; I haven't picked up my camera in months. I love looking at my old notebooks, sometimes I will find forgotten poems I wrote two years ago that I shared on this blog!
      Thank you for the kind compliment. :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this. <3

    xx Mackenzie

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I'm stuck with blog posts, I usually just go and become very anti-internet. I experience things in life because the best ideas come when I'm not constantly looking for them!!!

    xoxo Abigail Lennah | ups & downs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I do the opposite! I'm constantly searching online for the types of posts titled, "101 Blog Post Ideas". :)

      Delete
  4. These are some fabulous tips, Aliah!! Especially asking others for ideas... I'm a very self-reliant person haha *nervous laughter* so a lot of times I don't think to ask others for advice and help... but you never know when someone else has the missing piece of inspiration you need! :)

    LOVE THIS POST <3

    rock on,
    abbiee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same way Abbiee! I hate asking for help, whether it be for a tutor or moving furniture. I think blog posts are the only thing I ever ask for help on.
      I'm glad you enjoyed the post! <3

      Delete
  5. These are great tips! I usually go with the photography one; I also find that sometimes a scroll through the documents with my pictures can spark some inspiration! You have a beautiful blog, I've given you a follow!

    Lauren | Sincerely, Lauren Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I totally agree. Look out for some travel/photography posts that I was inspired to write simply by browsing some of my old photos.

      Delete
  6. Love these ideas!! I found that writing about whatever's been burning on my mind usually makes the best content, for me and for others. And I definitely agree with the pictures! Pictures make any post awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I totally agree! I once had an idea for a story in my mind for six months, and I think it is shaping up to be one of the best pieces I've ever written.
      Thank you for the kind comment.

      Delete
  7. I feel like reading other people's blog posts can be so inspirational! I think something else that gives me inspo is definitely things around me. Sometimes a quick walk does the trick x Nikita

    BLOG//Jasmine Loves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard that walks help so many people to solve problems and get inspiration. Perhaps I should try it sometime! Thank you for the tip and comment.

      Delete
  8. You blog is great! I think you've got some great ideas when it comes to finding inspiration. I am going to be taking your advice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. my blog is a photography blog primarily so my posts are always relating to whatever i've photographed recently, not the other way round which is nice because it means i don't blog for the sake of it...only when i have new pictures to share!

    i think another good idea of a post is 'reading lists', like your favourite posts from other bloggers. i alwwaaaays find bangin' new people to follow (ahem...stalk, obvs) that i'd not heard of before!

    katie xx lacoconoire.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your blog sounds lovely, I would love to check it out. Haha, I'm aways stalking other people and who they follow, so don't feel bad. :)
      Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  10. Awesome Post!!! I love your blog :). When I need inspiration I look through pinterest and other blogs.

    xx Bubbles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I do the same. :)

      Delete
  11. I turn to other bloggers and the internet when I'm hit with a bad case of writer's block. I try to think of original and creative posts, and I try to find inspiration in the things and people around me.
    peridotcove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same thing! I often abandon my blog, because I have such a bad case of writer's block, but then I feel restless about not posting something. If your mind is constantly on writing something, you can find inspiration everywhere.

      Delete
  12. Yes! Photography helps me a lot. Mostly I take a bunch of random photos and forget they exist for months. So it's definitely a good source of post inspiration! Also, this might be a bit of a cheat, but when I'm REALLY out of ideas I just ramble on about some philosophical nonsense. :')

    Also, I totally read your comment on my blog really late (blog hiatus) about books & Good Will Hunting. Are there any classic novels you liked recently? I'm asking because a holiday is about to hit and I need things to read. I've been on a classics roll, too. :)

    ReplyDelete

"If posts are the brain of a blog, then comments must be it's heart."
-N.K

I love receiving and reading your comments, but please make sure to be considerate of other's feelings.