She's Gone Bookish - Five Spring Reads

10.4.19


Featuring: the revival of a seemingly ancient book series first formed four years ago, the return of the well-received short, "no-spoiler," review format, and of course, five tales that are bright, colorful, and/or remind me of spring - curated especially for you.

A quick disclaimer: I don't consider myself a purveyor of modern literature, and very rarely do I venture into the depths of young adult fiction, so all of the novels I have listed (with one exception) were published at least 75 years ago. If you are a fellow reader of classic literature, these books are for you. If you aren't, I would highly recommend that you try your hand at reading some of these, as I thoroughly enjoyed everything featured below and think that you might too.


The Secret Garden

"Mary did not know what 'wutherin' meant until she listened, and then she understood."

The Secret Garden is perfect for anyone wanting to relive their childhood. I read it for the second time only a few weeks ago, and was reminded of all the reasons I used to love reading classic children's literature.

This book follows the story and early life of Mary Lennox, a sour and spoiled little girl who moves to England and slowly discovers the secrets and wonders of her uncle's estate. Exploring the simplicity of naturalistic beauty, hearty food, and warm smiles, as well as the pleasure and happiness they can all provide, Frances Hodgson Burnett will stun you with her themes of un-selfishness and picture-painting descriptions, guaranteeing you a 100% happy ending. An absolute classic whose title, cover, and meanings all scream spring.


The Inimitable Jeeves

"I've found, as a general rule of life, that the things that you think are going to be the scaliest nearly always turn out not so bad after all."

This was my second read of the Jeeves and Wooster series (by P.G. Wodehouse) but was actually the first one written. For those unfamiliar with Wodehouse, he was a humorist and author belonging to the 20th century who has won the hearts of many  with the ridiculous banter and wit of his characters and "elegantly turned phrases."

The Inimitable Jeeves, in particular, is a collection of short stories all following the misfortunes of Bertie Wooster in his attempts to help his friend Bingo marry, and the many, many, times he must be saved from awkward situations by his valet, Jeeves and his brilliant solutions. A lovely, lighthearted book perfect for times like spring break when all you want to do is relax and laugh; whether you decide to read only one or two of the short stories or tackle the entire collection in one go is entirely up to you.




The Hobbit

"You certainly usually find something; if you look, but it is not always quite the something you were after."

I'm not sure if it would have been possible to compile another list of books to read without including Tolkien. I am also uncertain about how many times I've read this novel, but each time I do, I discover something new, whether it be a thought-provoking quote, an elegant description, or a love for an under appreciated character.

Taking you along the adventures of Bilbo Baggins, Gandalf the Grey, and the company of Thorin Oakenshield to reclaim their homeland of The Lonely Mountain, Tolkien doesn't disappoint with - what I consider to be - some of the finest writing and plots in English literature. If you've only ever watched the movies, please read the book, and if you haven't read or watched either, please read the book. I've never met anyone who has failed to enjoy the characters, themes, and the luscious scenery and journey across Middle-Earth that instantly makes you think of spring turning into summer.


Watership Down

"You want to run - I will run with you."

Though being the most sizable novel on the list (as well as the youngest), time flew by while I read Watership Down, and I was much too captivated and enthralled by the charm of this tale to care; it subsequently became one of my favorite books.

Another adventure story, but this time, a modern take on the classic 'hero' tale dating back to epics as old as The Iliad and The Odyssey. Here, we are privileged enough to follow the quest of two brothers - Fiver and Hazel - to find a new home and survive the challenges, perils, and temptations they must face in order to do so. Told through the characters of anthropomorphized rabbits, Richard Adams exhibits his incredible creativity and opens the door to this unknown world complete with culture and mythology in Watership Down (similar to how Tolkien created Middle-Earth, new species, and languages). Do I even have to mention its spring-themed appeal?



The Yellow Wallpaper

"The color is hideous enough, and unreliable enough, and infuriating enough, but the pattern is torturing..."

This is the only book on this list that I discovered through a class, not originally meant for pleasure, but perhaps has had the most impact on me. It is much 'darker' than the others, but it is important to note that there are gloomier, rainy days in spring just as much as there are in any other season.

The Yellow Wallpaper is a short story that follows a woman's slow descent into madness and an obsession with the wallpaper covering the walls of her temporary bedroom. Based off of and inspired by the author's own horrific experiences of being diagnosed with 'hysteria' in the 19th century, this tale is historically significant as well as beautifully written, and should be read by all.



Well, that's the end of the list. These are just a few of my personal favorites that all exhibited 'spring-like themes' (at least, to me), and I wanted to share my opinions as well as love for the books. Even if you don't get a chance to read them this season, they are still just as good any other time of the year. 

Have any of you read the books mentioned above? Will you? What are some of your favorite stories to read this time of year?

2 comments:

  1. I've never really considered myself a classic person (asides from "the secret garden" and "a little princess" which I dearly loved. I've never heard of "the yellow wallpaper" though! but my friend's trying to get be to read the hobbit :-)
    what's your opinion on jane austen?
    -- vaishnavi @ written in stars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, A Little Princess was always one my favorites as well. I would highly recommend both The Yellow Wallpaper and The Hobbit, though the former may be the best to read first since it is so short. I know classics can be quite daunting (cough* Dostoevsky cough*) and you sometimes don't know where to begin, but I promise you, once you find your niche and discover what types you like, you won't be able to stop. Classics are classics for a reason, haha! I've actually linked a video below that I found quite enjoyable; it might be a good place to start if you want to begin reading classics.

      How to Read Classics

      Regarding Jane Austen, I've only read Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility, both a number of years ago, but I remember the plots well because I watch the BBC miniseries' quite often, haha! I personally love her writing and think that her books are quite easy to read and aren't extremely daunting and have some "lighter" themes. However, I do think she is an author often loved for the wrong reasons, as she is most often recognized and appreciated for her creative love stories and not for her satirical takes on society that are what make her writing so iconic - though both appear equally often in all of her novels. Just my two cents. :)

      Apologies for the super long reply; I often get carried away with things that I am passionate about - like books. ;)

      Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment! It means the world to me.

      Best. :)

      Delete

"If posts are the brain of a blog, then comments must be it's heart."
-N.K

I love receiving and reading your comments, but please make sure to be considerate of other's feelings.